Very Good Light is hiring! And looking for our next big writer.|
YASS – we’re adding to our team!
Love writing? Are you a hardcore journalist? Are you obsessed with beauty and the cast of characters inside the industry? Very Good Light is looking for YOU!
Very Good Light, the leading site for Generation Z men and beauty, is seeking a part-time editorial assistant or assistant editor dependent on experience. We’re looking for someone who is ambitious, self-starting and has a can-do attitude. Some duties will include: writing original content, brainstorming big picture stories to finding new beauty products/trends; assisting with social media including Instagram Stories; booking and securing talent; and more. Though this will be a remote position, New York City-based is preferred.
Very Good Light has been covered in the New York Times, Vogue, Allure, Teen Vogue, HighSnobiety, USA Today, among others. We believe confidence starts from the inside out.
Who we’re looking for:
- Journalists first and foremost who understand ethics and journalistic standards.
- Writers who are all about diversity, understand inclusivity, have a curiosity for beauty/grooming products and how they enhance the lives of men.
- Woke candidates only.
- Candidates with real editorial experience and beauty, entertainment or industry contacts.
- Candidates who understand social media, are enthused with the changing landscape of beauty, who are curious about newness.
- Assisting on photo shoots as well as posts, from longform to short.
- Reviewing products, calling beauty/grooming products in, testing.
- Writing, editing and learning to become a better Web journalist (writing enticing HEDS, DEKs, being concise and deliberate with sentences).
- Possibly attending industry events: Fashion week, backstage at fashion week, market appointments, parties, representing Very Good Light.
- Assisting with social media responsibilities from Instagram, Twitter to Facebook.
- Assisting with the editorial calendar, admin duties, pitching stories and seeing stories go from ideation to completion.
REQUIREMENTS/NECESSARY SKILLS FOR RECRUITMENT:
- Understanding of journalism, strong reporting and writing skills.
- A commitment of 10-15 hours a week.
- A strong understanding of the Web, Internet, beauty trends, and how social media.
- Great attitude and a can-do spirit.
- Ability to be an independent thinker and work independently.
ABOUT VERY GOOD LIGHT:
Very Good Light is the leading men’s beauty and grooming destination for Generation Z and young Millennials. Born from the idea that confidence comes from the inside out, Very Good Light aims to redefine masculinity and men’s beauty standards. This is accomplished through personal essays, impactful longform stories, compelling photography and videos, along with personable how-tos and product reviews. We believe that confidence starts from the inside out.
We’ve had the opportunity to work with the best of brands and tell compelling, culture-pushing stories. Just look at our recent genderless campaign with Milk Makeup. Our site, though in its fifth month, is constantly in the press. From the New York Times, Teen Vogue, Vogue, USA Today, Digiday, Fashionista, Observer, Racked, Refinery29, Highsnobiety and more, we’re one of the buzziest new brands.
Commensurate with experience
TO APPLY: Please send your resume to email@example.com.